Technical Support Engineer
Job Type Permanent
Location St Ives
Start Date ASAP
We are a total solutions provider to the telecommunication industry. Whether it is making a mobile phone call, downloading music at home, using ecommerce platforms in the office, communicating on social networks or making a restaurant reservation, it is likely the type of technology that Magdalene is working on every day is involved. Magdalene has 200 employees over 3 offices in Cambridge, Belfast and Glasgow.
The Transmission Technical Support Engineer is responsible for providing support on technical issues to Magdalene’s customers. Specific responsibilities include;
- Resolving faults within agreed SLA’s.
- Keeping fault tickets up-to-date.
- Provide system solutions for customer builds and network upgrades.
- Emergency on-call rota.
- Provide technical consultancy to the account teams for tender responses.
- Provide internal and external training.
- To maintain professional development to meet the changing demands of the job, participate in appropriate training activities.
- To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this job.
- Carry out all work in accordance with the company quality procedures.
- Work safely at all times in accordance with the company’s Health and Safety Arrangements.
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Self-motivated with a genuine desire to learn.
- Enthusiastic and positive demeanour.
- Effective and confident communication style.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to work accurately.
- Able to cope with pressure and remain calm.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Expert technical knowledge and fault finding skills on a wide range of WDM products, with focus on Huawei OSN1800 (including U2000 NMS), Ekinops and Packetlight.
- Good understanding in the use of optical test equipment and optical cleaning procedures.
- Competent in ethernet and fibre channel testing procedures and test equipment eg RFC2544.
- PDH/SDH experience including Nokia Dynanet & Synfonet, Keymile UMUX, DNWP Connection Master and associated NMS platforms.
- Other DWDM experience considered including Ciena 6500, 6100 and ADVA FSP3000 R7.
- Cisco/Huawei accreditation: CCNA/CCNP/HCNA/HCNP